Wednesday, May 17, 2006

You didn't see anything...

I was never here. This was never written. And I certainly didn't play Hookie from work today, to just have a day to myself.

That being said, if I was here, I'd say it's nice to have a day without work or a toddler. My husband did the same awhile ago, and I wanted a break too, before we head into the last week of school and the next week start my new summer job. Normally when I call in sick or even on a regular weekend, I have Mason too. So, it means short bits of relaxing or quiet time squished between longer stretches of noisy busy time. In fact, just writing this blog uninterrupted is delightful. I am almost at a loss, without two tiny hands grabbing at my pant leg or hearing the sound of his frustration as he tries to get in my lap by stepping on my feet and pulling at the chair.

I do have a few things planned today, however. But before I talk about that, I have to say that I did not get the middle school position I was sure was in the bag. I guess the principal went with someone else. It was very cut and dry and frankly I was left hanging and then disappointed without much warning. I assume he still liked me though, because he passed my name on to the other middle school in town, and actually the one I really wanted in the first place. That principal called me the other day, and now this morning I have an interview. It's a good thing I took today off, because it's really tricky to manipulate my schedule to coordinate with the interviewee's. I am a little nervous, but it's not so bad. I've done this more times than I wish I had. I just hope I don't have to go through the slew of questions I had to answer on a whim at my last interview.

The other thing I have planned is to just walk around the mall. Peacefully. Without screaming Mason who is getting more impatient by the minute by being strapped into his stroller. Don't get me wrong, he likes rolling around the walkway at the mall, just watching people. If he's not bored and you don't stop. As soon as I try to window shop and maybe even go in and look at stuff on racks, I've lost him. And he's lost it. He starts grabbing at clothes and their price tags and starts twisting around in his seat like some contortionist. The visit usually ends after I have offered every snack I had packed in his bag, changed his diaper, and gave him a sippy cup of juice and then I decide we've both had enough and I rush the stroller and my aggravated toddler out of the mall and back into the car, where he usually crashes from all the energy he has put forth.

So I am going and not worrying about anyone else. I might even get a Frappucino at Starbucks (they have a new one I haven't tried--Coconut Banana Frap). And enjoy it. In peace.

And I have more serenity headed my way this weekend. I get to go to a Women's Retreat a couple of hours away, through our church. The woman I went to the Learn and Serve camp with in the fall is also going. We're staying in a really nice hotel and just spending time as women and not mothers or wives or whatever other titles we're asked to hold during our regular day. Hear us roar!!

I guess I've rambled on enough. And I was able to pass 30 minutes of my time off, just taking my time writing this. 7 1/2 hours to go!!

0 comments: