Wednesday, May 17, 2006

People are interesting creatures...

First off, my interview went really well. The principal really likes me (why wouldn't she?) and she seems really nice. And the job's right up my alley: 7th grade Language Arts. I would teach two 2-hour blocks of English and then two classes of standardized test review. Basically, those two classes would be made up of students that didn't do so well on their tests this year and need some extra help. They'll be giving up one of their electives to be in that class. I'm not going to get my hopes up yet, but the job seems promising.

That leads me into the title of this entry. Walking into the principal's office, I got a feel of what this lady was all about. There are framed pictures of her family and friends all over the place. I figured out that she has two younger boys and a teenage daughter. There were pieces of framed art scattered about, and trinkets and gifts I assume from students, parents and her teachers. There was a large whiteboard on the wall behind me that had reminders, schedules and a quote about being an inspiration written on it. And what made me smile (and immediately like her) was the open box of lemon Girl Scout cookies that were sitting on her desk, near her computer. She's my kind of gal. If they had been Thin Mints or the Peanut Butter Patties or Samoas (or whatever they're called now), she'd have been my new best friend. Ah well, any type are a good start in my book. It's just amazing what you can learn about someone before they even say a word to you.

Like when I went to the mall later. There was the lady that served me my Banana Coconut Frappucino at Starbucks (which was interesting but certainly not my favorite). She had a really pretty face and her hair was curly and put up like she was going somewhere fancy. But then she had this huge tattoo on her upper arm that was busy and colorful, and a bracelet-like tattoo on the opposite wrist. And she was wearing pearls around her neck. It kinda made me smile. She's girly, but tough too. Then I saw the girl that had to be high maintenance. She was pushing one of those fancy strollers that was all pink and looked expensive, her new baby was dressed in designer clothes, the mom was talking on a fancy shmancy phone and she was carrying a designer diaper bag. Sheesh. Money wasted, in my opinion. Oh well, it's not my debt that's accumulating by the minute. I also saw an old man wearing a baseball cap that was two sizes too small and was reading the newspaper in the food court, and an older couple that were fussing at each other as they walked briskly through the mall, and there was a girl that worked at the cellphone kiosk and was extremely bored as she played some game online and waited for a customer to come by.

I just wish I could get paid to do this. I don't know how this interest of mine could be channeled to a profession, but if it ever does, I'll be a millionaire.

0 comments: