Saturday, May 13, 2006

There's at least one good thing that came out of me working at the school I'm at

Disneyland was a blast. They've added rides and improved old ones. And frankly, it was a lot of fun with the 6th graders. My group consisted of 3 boys (one who is the perfect kid and I hope Mason grows up to be like him, another one that's smart as a whip but can be a little hyper and the other who's just plain hyper) and it turned out great. Three groups ended up hanging out together for most of the day, which worked out better, because then if kids didn't want to ride on the fast rides (a couple of the girls and 2 of the boys didn't want to do much), they could stay behind with the mom that went along.

California Adventure is awesome. I had heard there wasn't much to do and I had even considered not even bothering to go over there. Little did I know they have faster rides than Disneyland!! Tower of Terror is just...wow. It's this elevator thing that shoots up and then throws you down and shoots you back up some more. At one point, the doors open up and you can see outside. You see how high up you are it's a little shocking. Three of us (the gth grade teacher, the special ed teacher and I) all got this shirt there that looks like it's from Pirates of the Caribbean or something. It had a skull and cross bones and said "The beatings will continue until morale improves" and in the middle it says "Captain Punisher in Command". We just couldn't stop laughing about that one. It seemed ever so appropriate for our work environment...Maliboomer made me shaky afterwards. It felt a lot like bungee jumping (I did it once on vacation and was rather proud of myself), because you are suspended on the pole thing and then it throws you high in the air and then drops you down. Yowza. And then there's the roller coaster (I can't remember the name, but there's a loop that's shaped like Mickey Mouse's head) that's awesome too, because it starts out shooting you out like a gun. Lots of fun. And there's the Monsters, Inc. ride that's real cute. And the area that's set up like Hollywood is neat.

Disneyland has improved Space Mountain and I swear it goes faster now. And there's a better light show in it and it's still my favorite. Of course we also went on Thunder Mountain Railroad, the Matterhorn and Splash Mountain (which I was sitting near the back, so I didn't even really get wet). We went on pretty much all the rides, except for the Winnie the Pooh ride, which I wanted to go on. But traveling in groups of 15 make it hard to get anywhere quickly. And time gets away from you, when you have to eat, stand in line (although they have Fast Pass now, which means you go up to the ride, put your ticket it and it gives you a little card. You leave, go do something else and come back an hour later. And when you return, you don't even have to stand in the line. You just walk right through. It feels like you're a V.I.P.) and shop for souvenirs. And 6th graders are very indecisive and want to buy stuff they don't have money for.

Of course the entire trip wasn't roses. On the way there, I probably only slept like 2 or 3 hours, because sleeping on a bus (even though it was a nice tour bus) makes it difficult to find a comfortable spot. And the ride home I slept hard, because I was more than exhausted, but I was sore too. My feet still ache, my legs are sore and when I move my arms a certain way, it pinches a little. And even though I was able to sneak in a 2 hour nap today (a big THANK YOU to my husband), I still feel whooped. I'm already ready to crash in bed for the night. And I'm supposed to help out at church tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

Well, did I leave anything out? I think I covered most of my exciting but extremely tiring day. I'm back home and glad to be here. Gotta go and get to bed soon...Two more weeks of school, people!!

0 comments: