Friday, September 16, 2005

What to do, what to do...

I am still alive and still willing to keep an active blog, but things have just been a little frizzle frazzled lately. I wrote on Tuesday, but only to open your eyes to some dumb humor. Let's see if I can get you up to speed. Well, work is work. I still enjoy it but it's still tiring. This week I didn't work with the kids in resource much, because the room was being used for school pictures. So, I've been spending more time in the 6th grade, which I don't mind at all. In fact, on Wednesday, I was able to hone my Language Arts skills and do a writing activity with the kids. It was a lot of fun. They read an excerpt of this story about a girl named Poverty that is really huge and not very attractive. The point of the story was to identify the keywords that authors use to define and describe their characters. Then, the students had to come up with a funny character of their own. They had to write about it and draw it. I love the imagination of a 6th grader. You get ideas that range from a strange looking human with abnormal physical features to superhero monkeys. Very funny. I really really enjoyed it and it got me thinking about next year. Do I want to stay there and perhaps take a lead position in one of the upper grades (honestly, I'd really only want 6th grade, so I don't know how that would work), or should I persue moving on to the public school and just teach a middle school grade so I can teach English? I have no idea what I want to do. I have some time to think about it, I suppose.

Now to my daycare dilemma. I want to move Mason from his current daycare, because I'm just not happy there. I don't think he's being mistreated or abused (because if that were the case, I'd yank him out of there so fast, their heads would spin and I would leave him with a friend or quit my job if I had to), but I'm just not satisfied. He's sick a lot and I hate the fact that there are days when there's some random 18 year old chickee taking care of him. And now they've started enforcing the policy of pre-paying the Thursday before. Yeah, that's not gonna work for me. My husband's job is not that predictable. To a degree, we have an idea what it will be like, but we're not always sure. I sure as hell am not paying for days that Mason stays home with daddy. THEN, yesterday I had a little run-in with the girl I mentioned a few weeks ago (the one I didn't feel comfortable leaving Mason with). She apparently thought I had already left, because she was in the other room and said, "Mason's cute. I didn't used to think so, but he's growing on me." Now, maybe I should have just shrugged it off because her opinion shouldn't matter to me and furthermore she's COMPLETELY WRONG. But it bothered me. Trememdously. I went out of there furious. When I returned to pick Mason up that afternoon, I actually made a complaint to the director. She said that she would have cried if someone said that about her baby and that she was impressed that I didn't go in and slap the teacher in the face. Well, she wouldn't be that impressed if she knew me, because I am anti-confrontation much of the time. Anyways, moral of the story is, the teacher was formally written up and I am further convinced that I need to look elswhere for childcare. The problem is, most full-fledged daycares around here are far more expensive than where he's at currently and I don't want him to go to any of them anyways. I have been informed of two in-home daycares that are up for my consideration. One is operated by a lady that used to work at the school I teach at. She comes highly recommended, but she's more than what we pay now. Then another lady would be slightly more than we pay now, but she'd have to take him with her to bible studies at her church and perhaps other errands during the day. I don't know about that. She seems like a genuinely nice, caring person that I would trust my baby with, but I don't feel right about allowing a stranger to transport my child all around town. What if they get in an accident? That just scares me. My husband and I have discussed the options briefly, but we don't know what we're going to do. Money is already tighter than a drum, so how do you squeeze money out of nothing? Sigh. I guess a prayer or two is in order...

0 comments: