Monday, September 05, 2005

Happy Labor Day!!

As I mentioned in my previous post, we haven't had a real exciting weekend, but it's still been nice. Today, we decided to barbeque some skewers, since it was a nice day and Labor Day, afterall. They were mighty tasty, I have to say. While hanging out outside, Mason took a ride in his red wagon (hence the picture), which he loved. He just adores watching the neighbor cats scurry away from him and he often attempts to snatch the limbs off the bushes that line our house. I have a feeling he's gonna be an outdoorsy kind of kid. That's great, because I will not allow him to be raised by the television and video games. But I do fear the day he proudly shows off some spider or snake or something else slimy and nasty, expecting me to be impressed and pleased. No thank you. No eight-legged or no-legged creatures if you please.

Later today, I went to the mall to return that oversized shirt I mentioned in my last entry. As a side note, I like to think that I am the type of person that tries to find good in most people and assume that most people have good intentions. In fact, in my marriage, I tend to be the one who says, "No honey, I don't think they meant it that way," or "I'm sure they did it on accident," etc. I want to believe that people are mainly good and that they just make mistakes or screw up now and then. But today, I started to lose my faith in humankind. The drive to the mall was the first incident today that proved against my people-are-good theory. I had two people cut me off and another tailgate me in a 2 mile stretch of highway. Then in the mall parking lot, someone stole the parking space that I was clearly waiting for. When I got into the store to return the shirt, I noticed a pair of shoes that I wanted to try on. (very cute tan and brown dressy Mary Janes) The lady that helped me the other day was there again, and I think maybe she was still fuming from the fact that I had tried on a million items and only purchased one. Anyhow, I asked her if I could see them in a size--I didn't get to finish my sentence, because she cut me off, saying, "Those are the only ones we have, and they're 10's." I said "Okay, then I would like to try those on." And she said, "You can try that ONE on. (meaning the one that was on display. Yes, only one shoe. Gee, thanks.)" So, I did and they were too big, so I put it back. I settled on getting a pair of jeans in trade for the shirt that didn't fit me. When I told her I needed to return the shirt, she proceeded to interrogate me on my decision, "Do you want another size?" (no, the smaller size doesn't fit across my chest) "Have you thought about just putting a tank top underneath and not buttoning it?" (yes I have, but I don't want to) "Do you want another shirt instead?" (uh no, I want these jeans!) Arrgh! What is so hard about returning something and getting something else? How many buttons would she really need to push on the damn cash register for this transaction?! Holy moly! Finally, she sighed and made the exchange with some obvious regret. Whatever lady, just give me the frigging pants and let me go! So, after walking out of there thinking I should have complained to her supervisor (but with my luck, she might have been the supervisor), it crossed my mind that maybe people aren't as good as I had hoped. I don't know. Maybe I'm just having one of those days.

Mason is sounding for me. Have a nice short week.

0 comments: