Sunday, September 04, 2005

Hiatus

I'd like to tell you that I have not been able to write entries for this blog because I've been out galavanting around town, or on some family camping trip, or skiing and boating on a lake or barbequeing with friends to celebrate the Labor Day weekend. But then I'd be lying. The sad truth is that I've just been tired and frankly, lazy to write. Yes, I'm enjoying the idea that I don't have to return to work until Tuesday, I can't say that I've done much thus far. Yesterday we went to the mall for lunch at Honeybaked Ham (yum yum!) and it hailed. It hailed so hard that my husband and I could barely carry on a conversation across the table from each other. Mason didn't seem to mind nor care. He just smiled gleefully at the strangers in the restaurant and played with his five-point restraint harness on his stroller. Then, we went into the mall and I attempted to shop a bit. I was given a giftcard for my birthday for a clothing store that I've never shopped in before. The clothes looked cute and very hip for work. But, the prices are a little hefty and the $35 card only got me a pink sparkly dress shirt, that I'm actually returning. The sleeves are too long and the waist makes me look pregnant again. Why did I buy it, you ask? Well, because I tried about 5,000 items in the store, frustrated at the way they fit. Some were surprisingly big (I always go for the bigger size in stores I don't know, just in case) and others were made for Lindsay Lohan. And my husband was wheeling Mason around the mall all the while and they returned, assuming I was done. So, I grabbed the bigger size of a shirt I had liked and slapped it onto the register counter. I was ready to get out of there, just out of pure frustration and exhaustion. I hate shopping without another female who's patient and also struggling with size issues. Anyway, I then treated myself to a Moolatte' from Dairy Queen and People Watched for a bit. I thought it would be oh-so-cute to offer Mason a smidgen of frappucino and whip cream from my straw. He liked it, he liked it too much. Every time I tried to take a drink, two little pudgy hands reached out and tried to snatch it from me. So we cut him off before he became a caffeine addict at the ripe age of 8 months and we'd have to start pouring shots of espresso into his bottles...Last night we went this hole-in-the-wall pizza place for the first time and it was darn good. It's always scary to venture into the unknown territory of new restaurants, but we were pleased. We topped off the night by watching "Guess Who" (with Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac), which was funny. A good day overall.

Today, we haven't done much so far. We ate breakfast and went on a walk around the neighborhood with Mason and the obese dog Max. That is quite a feat. We are convinced that Max has severe learning disabilities, because even though he's three, he isn't all that potty trained nor knowledged on how to act on a leash. He thinks that being on a walk allows him to sway from one side of the street to the other, peeing on every gosh darn bush, tree, branch, leaf, fly and molecule that he passes along the way. He also thinks that he's participating in the Heavyweight/Fat Small Dog Division of the Sled Dog Races, because he insists on running to the extent of his leash and pulling us along. It makes for a tiring walk around the block. Mason on the other hand loves to just take in the scenery and watch the world go by. He jabbers along, talking to the birds, houses, cars, trees, clouds and bugs that he happens to notice. The cutest part is that he loves to relax and prop his tiny feet onto the tray in front of him, looking like a miniature lounge lizard. What a life...

So, that's it. No parties, no family cookouts and no social events to speak of. Just me and my little family doing what we do.

0 comments: