Tuesday, September 20, 2005

It's a love/hate relationship...

Technology can be your very best friend. You can drop an email to old pal and reconnect in ways that maybe you wouldn't have before. You can write an essay or report or letter and spell check it and have it printed in no time at all. You can look up anything and I mean anything on the internet and have a billion sources to choose from (seriously. I just looked up "underwater basketweaving" and got 1,941 hits!). You can use a cellphone to call anyone, anytime, anywhere. Oh wait. Scratch that last part.

So I have never had a problem using my cellphone in our house, which is a good thing, since we don't have a landline (it seems silly, since we have two cellphones and no one ever calls us anyways!). Then, I get home from work and try to call a pizza joint (strictly for a fundraiser for the school. I wouldn't eat it otherwise, of course!), and BAM! My phone says with a nasty undertone, "Warning! Service Not Available!" What?!?!?!? Since when? I tried sending a text message and the same message appeared. What the crap?! What if I needed to call 911? That's super. I tried to see if somehow the cellphone company hadn't received a payment or something, but when I looked up our account on their website, it didn't mention anything out of the ordinary. So I don't know what to do. It's been like this for a couple of hours now. If there was a total emergency, I'd knock frantically on our neighbors' doors until someone answered. But otherwise, I'm out of luck and out of touch.

0 comments: