Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A pleasant (and unpleasant) surprise

I'll start with the pleasant surprise first. I took my 7th/8th period students to the library today, and expected that I would need to write a few kids Lunch Detentions or at least reprimand them for noise while there. They are infamous for acting like complete dinguses in the library and often causes me some frustration and embarassment towards the librarian. Today, however, was different. There was another class in there doing research on the other side of the library and they actually shocked my class. That class was so rowdy and noisy that I could barely hear a student I was speaking face-to-face with. My students mainly remained at the tables, looking at books and just sitting with their friends. When we returned to class, a few students made the observation that the other class was so rowdy. I took the time to thank my class for being well behaved and I appreciated their respect while in the library. I was proud of them. Maybe for an average class it's not that big of a deal that they are good in the library, but for this group of students, it was a very big deal. I even awarded them 7 stickers on the chart (normally a maximum of 5), because I was so impressed. It seemed to make them happy and proud...

The unpleasant surprise was when I walked outside after school. No snow. None. Not even remnants. Three hours earlier, it was coming down like some kind of mad snowstorm. I thought maybe I had hallucinated the whole thing, but others were disappointed at the lack of white fluffy stuff on the ground. So much for a Late Start tomorrow. But at least my rowdy kids were good. That's even better than having a Snow Day...

0 comments: