Saturday, April 08, 2006

I hate waiting

My parents (and brother and aunt and nephew) are headed up here for a visit. They're supposed to be here sometime between 12 and 1, and it's 12:51. I don't know why I'm anxious. Maybe because Mason's napping so I'm bored. And maybe it's because I haven't seen my aunt in like 15 years. She came out for a visit when I was in middle school and that's the last time I saw her. She has recently moved in with my parents, until she can find her own place, somewhere near them. It's just weird. I don't know why, but I find it awkward to introduce people to Mason or my husband for the first time, if they're people I've known and they've just not seen me in years (or decades). Case in point: there were people at our wedding that I hadn't seen since elementary school, so I was a little nervous seeing them anyways. In their heads, I'm still that skinny runt that practically lived in our swimming pool all summer and looked a little boyish. Now, I've not only grown into my body (and then some. I wish I could give some of it away, believe me), but I'm older and doing grown up things. The last time I saw my aunt, I wore eyeglasses that had one really thick lense (I have one crappy eye) and was a meek 7th grader. Ahh, how times have changed. Now, I'm married, long since moved out of my parents' house and have a child of my own. It's just a strange thing.

Anyhoo, whenever they arrive, I'm meeting them at the RV hookup area a few miles away. It'll be nice to see everyone, but a little odd. Then again, any time there's a visit with my parents, it's odd to some degree. That's just the cards I was dealt. Wish me luck.

0 comments: