Sunday, August 21, 2005

Apparently you CAN live without breathing...

I knew it was going to happen either now or in the near future. It's inevitable. I'm down with the nasty junk that spreads like wildfire in a classroom--a cold. I suppose it was my turn, since the other two teachers have already had it and most of the kids have at one time or another sneezed, coughed or blown their nose near me. I can't imagine what a typical classroom would look like under a microscopic lense. I bet it's like a crowded mall of bacteria and germs in there. We do our best to keep the nastiness contimination to a minimum by having the students wash their hands regularly and we designate jobs such as cleaning the desks, counters and bookshelves. But I think even if you had a power washer full of Lysol and drenched the room each and every day, you'd still end up with some hardcore viruses that sneak past the radar. It's just the way of the world, or at least the way of a class full of kids. So it shouldn't surprise me, which I guess it doesn't. But even with having a cold (and strep throat, sinus infections and upper respitory infections) multiple times a year each year I have taught, I never get used to it. My face feels like I'm trying to hold back the contents of the Hudson River with a styrafoam wall and I'm taking Sudafed (but not the good Sudafed because I guess enough jerks have tried making crack or whatever drug they snort or smoke or shoot up out of pseudophedrine and it's been taken off the shelves of a lot of stores around here so I can't buy the cold medicine that actually works!!) but it's not helping. I just hope I don't give it to Mason, because there's nothing sadder than a baby suffering with a cold. Well, okay there are sadder things, but as a mother, it ranks pretty high up there to watch your baby try to breathe and get frustrated.

So that's my day. I hope I feel better by tomorrow (by some miracle. Hint hint, God!) so I can function in the classroom. The aide that's been gone the past two school days will be gone at 11, so I cannot miss tomorrow. And on top of that, it'll be my birthday!! I don't want to feel lousy on my birthday! Yuck! Kay, I'm done whining now...

0 comments: