Monday, August 15, 2005

6 days until my birthday!!!

I couldn't really think of a creative title for today, so that's what you get. And since my 27th birthday is soon approaching, I thought I'd drop a hint here, just in case anyone in the cyberworld would like to know and most importantly, want to give me a present. Cash is good.

I think I forgot to mention in my first entry that I also work with resource kids in the mornings. It actually started officially today. I'm with 2 groups, one at 2nd grade level and one at 3rd. They're real small groups, which is nice. Much easier to control 4 kids versus 30. I had to switch mental gears though, because it's a total different approach for younger kids and for kids that have mental disabilities. I think I handled it pretty well, considering. I just have to remember that young kids want to tell you about their dog, the flowers growing in their yard, their dad's car, their favorite color and anything else that pops into their minds, even if it's in the middle of something you're saying.

It reminds me to appreciate my 6th graders even more. They may be a bit braindead at times (but I blame that on hormones. I swear the brain shuts down around 11 years old and doesn't begin working again for another 10 years if it begins again at all), but you gotta love 'em. They're such comedians, especially the boys. Today I muttered to myself, "I'm tired," and Dalton (my Jim Carrey in the making) says, "Really? Hi Tired, I'm Dalton." Okay, it's not that funny, but it's one of those moments that you have to smile at him and give him a sarcastic laugh. He lives for that. His jokes aren't laugh-out-loud funny, they're more like smartass remarks, but that's right up my alley. I've always said that I have a 6th grade sense of humor, which makes me perfect for teaching them. If you can't get a laugh out of them, your days are going to seem like one bad standup comedy show after another...

I think Mason's going to be a little chatterbox, when he learns how to form words. Now, his conversations consist of "Baabaa" (which doesn't mean "bottle", so don't be impressed), "Gaagaa" and other variations ending in "aa". Sometimes he'll blabber on for 10 minutes, putting inflections in his voice as if he's actually saying something. Maybe he is. Maybe he's like Stewie from Family Guy and he's plotting our demise..."Mother, I have a present for you. I'll give you a hint, it's in my diaper, and it's not a toaster." Gotta love Stewie. If you don't watch the show, you're missing out.

Okay, I have a headache and Mason's playing the Let's-See-How-Many-Times-I-Can-Pull-Things-Off-The-Desk-Before-Mommy-Has-A-Breakdown Game. So, that's it for today. Happy Monday.

P.S. There was a Weiner Dog race here this weekend!! I wanted to go, and take our little Maxie (our lazy, 15 pound "miniature" dachshund), to show him how active a weiner dog can be!! And you gotta wonder, what exactly did they entice the dogs with? A chance to lay on the couch all day long? A Temper-Pedic doggy mattress? And in our dog's case, perhaps an unlimited trash can to rifle through and chew up Kleenex and other nasty crap at will? Something to ponder...

<------This isn't actually from the race here, but I found this picture and thought it was hilarious! My husband and I have always joked about putting Max in Mason's Snugli, but didn't know people actually do it!! Max would be in heaven, not having to do ALL that walking he does everyday.

0 comments: