Friday, May 04, 2007

Pleasant Surprise

After the incident with Hormone Boy, I was really dreading my 7th/8th period yesterday. I was expecting him to march into class and whine and disrupt the class by wanting to discuss why he was sent down to the office and how outrageous it was that he had to carry all those journals to the crate. But I was happy to realize that he wasn't in class. I was just hoping he wasn't ditching. Soon after class started, Mrs. Vice Principal gave me a ring and asked if my class was quieter than normal, to which I replied with a laugh, "why, yes it is." She said that I would be relieved of Hormone Boy for the rest of the week, as he visited the administration office during my class. Fine with me. Things went much smoother yesterday. Not to say the class acted like angels, but there wasn't any arguing or confrontation. In fact, when we were finished with journals yesterday, I said, "Now, it's time to pass them up, and if it isn't too much to ask, could the front of each row put them away?" to which the class laughed. They knew how ridiculous it had been for Hormone Boy to put up such a fuss.

And today I noticed on the absent list (that comes out 3rd period), that Hormone Boy was Home Suspended. Which means 1 of 2 things: he either acted up while in the office yesterday or got his butt in trouble for something else. Who knows. And sad to say, who cares. I mean, I care about Hormone Boy and really wish he would work to his potential. And I feel for his mom, as she is raising 4 boys (with only about a 6 or 7 year span total between them) alone. It's just that I want to get through the last few weeks of school without wanting to strangle a student. Is that too much to ask?

Oh yeah, and we had an Early Release today, for teacher training. Yeah!! The day just zooms by on shorter days. And the Inservice was vertical training (department level) and we got out about an hour early. Hallelujah. Thank God for the weekend.

3 more weeks to go...

0 comments: