Thursday, May 10, 2007

Hurry up and wait

I hate waiting. I've never been very patient with it. It doesn't matter if it's waiting for presents on Christmas morning or waiting on the mailperson to deliver the mail or waiting to get pregnant (which I am currently doing).

But visiting the doctor is the worst. I've been struggling yet again with a sinusy issue and decided that it was time to go see the doc. I don't like any part of the procedure that entails seeing the doctor. I hate finding the time to call. I hate being put on hold by the receptionist. I hate telling the receptionist what's wrong with me, and feeling like I have to measure up to her standards on whether or not I'm worthy to make an appointment, more or less get one for the same day. I hate sitting in the waiting room. You sit there, among other sick people and hope you don't also catch what they have. Today, there was a cranky two year old whose mother looked just about defeated with his sickness (I heard wheezing and coughing). There was also a few other people that came and went (that's another part I hate--waiting longer than other people!!). Then they call your name at the front desk and you think, "Bingo! I've won! It's my turn!" and then all they ask is if your information is all current. Grrr. So I waited another 20 minutes or so and then finally, the magical door between the waiting room and the exam rooms opened and a nurse called my name. Then you are put in a small room and asked AGAIN what you're there for. What was the point in telling the receptionist? Then they leave and you wait some more. And I really hate waiting in there. You're just sitting there, on an exam table, listening to doors open and shut and the chatter of nurses and doctors and sometimes I wonder if they're all just standing out there giggling to themselves, "Let's see how long this one will wait." Or maybe I'm on some sort of hidden camera show and someone's going to pop out and say, "You just got punk'd" or something. But nope. It's just the cruewl process of being seen by a doctor. Which I didn't even get to do. I saw a NP (nurse practioner), which I know is valid and trained, but I just feel a little cheated. So, she examined me, asked me the basic questions and told me I had Sinusitis--which I've had before. I think it's a made-up name. Sinusitis just sounds fake--like what you tell your boss you have when you are calling in to tell her that you're, "cough, cough" sick. Then, the NP writes me 3 prescriptions and sends me on my way. Just like that. I probably saw her for 5 minutes tops. And I still have to wait some more, to stand in line at the payment desk to pay my $15 copay!! And here's the best part--I HAVE TO WAIT SOME MORE AT WALGREENS!!! And to pay $80 for 3 prescriptions!! And that's with insurance covering 90%!! Good gracious.

And that was my day.

0 comments: