Thursday, March 09, 2006

Was it Opposite Day and no one told me?

So, instead of my day starting okay at home and going downhill every minute after I arrive at work, it went the other way today. I went out to start my car (because it's chilly willy out there!), and when I came back in, the first thing I saw was dog doody. Nice. AND, my son was walking in it. REALLY NICE. So, I beat the dog, snatched off the shoe that was coated in dog poo-poo (thank the Lord he was wearing shoes) and proceeded to clean up the remnants. When I climbed over the baby gate to dump the feces in the bathroom, Mason had a breakdown--I guess from me walking away from him. This was all in the time I should have been packing up and heading out the door to work. Needless to say, I was a grump for a brief moment in time. I eventually had my lunch, son and his diaper bag ready to go. After getting to work, my nerves began to calm, and later in the day I ate lots of horrible-for-me snacks that were in the breakroom (brownies, donuts, nuts, red licorice and chocolate). So, it was all good.

Today and tomorrow are Parent Conferences. And being that I'm in two different grade levels, I was a boomerang for the ones today. I tried to sit in for as many as possible, but it's a little tricky. There are definitely some that are givens that I wanted to be at (the entertaining ones--the crazy parents, the out of control kids, ya know, the fun ones) and some that are pointless. There are some where you say, "Your child is doing fine. Here's their report card." Wow. It took the parent longer to drive there than it did to hear the report they already knew. Oh well. At least they care. It's the parent that you really want to see and talk to that seems like a ghost. They're the ones that you've never seen or even able to contact. There's disconnected phone numbers and no other contacts. And often that parent turns into the Concerned Parent, about a week before school's out for the year. "How come I didn't know my son/daughter was failing? This is the first I've heard of it!" Yeah, that's because you've been hiding in a dark hole for the past 9 months, hoping by some grace of God that your child will slide by with barely passing grades, so you don't have to confront the problem.

In other news, Mason's down with whatever junk I had recently. He's snotty and coughing and generally fussy. He is up 3,4,5 times a night, like an infant. He screams, whines, cries, and hollers to get your butt out of bed, to comfort him, hold him, rock him to sleep, and eventually give him a bottle so he'll go back to sleep. Good times. I'm hoping he gets better soon, because a friend from out of town wants to come up with her two girls on Wednesday for a visit. She hasn't seen Mason since the summer, when he wasn't even crawling. I really want to see them, but it would be no fun for all involved if he's still a sickling.

So, next week is Spring Break!! Yippee Freaking Skippee!! I am so glad to have a week off. Tomorrow will be busy, since it's an early day for the kids and then conferences. Then, my husband and I have volunteered to watch our babysitter's kids so they can go to conferences. Should be interesting. Then we're going to a thing with church friends. I doubt it will be Opposite Day again though, unfortunately. Or fortunately. Whatever.

1 comments:

Mrs. Bluebird said...

Oh wow, you already have spring break? We don't get ours until the last week in March...but hey, I hear it's raining out your way!