Sunday, December 18, 2005

What is this "sleep in" you speak of?

I try not to laugh when friends or famiy call me at 8 or 9 or 10 in the morning and say, "Did I wake you?" I realize there was a time in my life when I was capable of sleeping well into late day and sometimes even afternoon!! But those days are long, long gone, my friend! "Sleeping in" nowadays means that I'm awake after the sun is up. If I'm still in bed after 7, I count my blessings. Babies do that to you. When Mason was an infant and I was up with him every couple of hours, I used to sit in the glider in his room, struggling to breastfeed, and hating the rest of the world. Although I know that there are millions of mothers around the world and there were probably half that were up at the same time I was, I couldn't see that. I was the only one up at midnight, 2, 4 and 6 with a screaming banshee. So, these days, I thank my lucky stars that Mason sleeps through the night, and has since he was about 2 months old. (Other mothers scowl viciously at me when I tell them that little tidbit) I am very much appreciative of that. But, he is normally wide awake somewhere between 5:30 and 6:30 every morning. He goes down for a nap a few hours later, which is nice. I have to say that I get more accomplished before 10 on a weekend than most people do all day (or at least those who do not have kids). Take this morning for example: it's barely reaching 10 a.m., and already today I have fed Mason a bottle, played on the floor with him for awhile, gave him breakfast, changed his diaper (3 times, I might add!!), wrapped 3 Christmas and 1 birthday present, did 3 loads of laundry, put the sheets on Mason's bed (and if you have children, you know how tricky a fitted sheet for a crib can be!!), somewhere in there snuck in some breakfast for myself and put Mason down for his morning nap. Now would be a good time to take a shower, now that I think about it. I have to scatter those throughout the week, whenever I have 15 minutes or so to spare. Now, I know most families have more than 1 child (and in a few years, we will too), but I still take pride in my accomplishments. So, to those of you who just rolled out of bed, are still in your pj's at 10 and may plan to just lay around all day, I say you don't know what you're missing. :)

1 comments:

Mrs. Bluebird said...

I can totally relate and I don't even have my own children. I guess I'm so programmed to get up at 4:45 every morning that even on the days off, I'm usually wide awake by 6:00. Then again, I have a kitty alarm clock who starts getting really vocal if I'm not up in time. The joy of Christmas break is that I can take a nap if I want to. And you know, that sounds like a really good idea right about now!