Thursday, December 29, 2005

Is it already the 29th??

I can't believe Christmas and Mason's first birthday have come and gone. What a whirlwind! To catch you up, after my last post, we headed down to my parents' house. On the way, we hit some bad traffic, near an area where there had been a nasty accident. Of course everyone has to stop and rubber neck. Here it was Christmas Eve, and while we're sitting still in traffic, a guy walks by, apparently to check out how far down the traffic is stopped. I notice he has a cigarette in his hand. On his way back, I read his t-shirt: "I smoke, so F--- off!" Nice, huh? What a festive and appropriate shirt for Christmas!! Anyways, we finally made it to their house, in time to eat a nice dinner of roast beast and lots of other good stuff and then go to church. We went to my parents' church, which is very contemporary. So much so, that the first half of the service was a skit put on by adult members of the church. Not your typical Jesus' birth, either. It was cute but very much not the traditional thing you expect. We opened presents that night from my sister and her family. Real nice stuff. Mason got these tunnels that hook onto each other and then fold up when you're not using them. Cute. The next morning we opened presents from my parents and relaxed. Mason got a stuffed pony that whinnies and neighs, but he's not real enthused about it quite yet. Later, we went over to my sister-in-law's house, and met up with the whole famiy from my husband's side. It was nice, but very, very overwhelming. There were lots of people, Mason was tired (because he refused to nap, for fear he might miss something, I suppose) and there were presents and wrapping everywhere!! He made out like a bandit. There was so much stuff that we had a heck of a time stuffing it all into the car on our way back home the next day! Mason ate his birthday cake too, of course! What a mess! I'm kinda glad the first birthday only comes once! The next morning was Mason's actual birthday, and he opened presents at my parent's house and had MORE cake. That boy was so filled with goodies that now he's not real interested in real food. Ah well, he had a good time. Yeah, so my parents got him a tricycle. It is supposedly age appropriate for 1 1/2 years and up, but we'll see. Either way, he's not ready for it yet. When we were ready to head back home, my husband started feeling lousy. His stomach was churning and he had chills. By the time we were home, he was in bed and very much a sickling. I unloaded the car, entertained Mason and tried to nurse my hubby back to health. He really didn't feel 100% better until yesterday. I woke up a little yucky this morning, but it has passed.

So overall, a very pleasant Holiday, but exhausting. Mason's toy collection has probably quadrupled and our apartment is getting smaller by the day!! Oh well, we didn't need furniture anyways, right?

0 comments: