Monday, July 30, 2007

6 days until school!!

That's crazy. I can't believe the summer's over. It was so wonderful being home for the summer (since I've never been at least not with Mason) and we did so many great things (lots of art, Summer Movie Fun, waterplay, working on potty training, Family Camp, etc.) that I don't want it to end. But, I'm also ready to go back to work (and now, my state of mind is the sooner I go back to work, the sooner we move and the sooner we'll have a baby!!).

I went today and moved some things around, put some posters up, unpacked the rest of the boxes and tried to arrange my room just the way I want it (for now). And then I got visitors. Two of my 8th grade boys from last year popped their heads into my room. It was Hormone Boy and Jock Boy (d0n't know if I mentioned him last year--HUGE kid, all about football and a bit chauvanistic, but very smart). I inquire why they're at the school, and they proceed to tell me why they were suspended the last 3 days of last school year, AND currently suspended for the first 4 days of high school. Apparently another kids had a Swiss Army knife (or something like it) in his backpack on the school bus and Jock Boy wanted to see it. He started playing with it, and then Hormone Boy wanted to see it. Needless to say, the bus driver saw it as "three kids were holding a knife" and the 3 boys got 10 days of Out of School Suspension. And since there were only 3 days left of school, their suspension carried over to this coming school year. To total 10 days of suspension, they are serving 2 of them helping around our school--taking out boxes, moving things up and downstairs, etc. I even saw Jock Boy with a mop and bucket when I was leaving. It's good for them. It's humbling. But I will admit it does suck to already have a suspension hanging over your head before school even starts.

I don't plan on going to the school tomorrow, as it is my last opportunity to spend time with Mason before I really start working. Wednesday is my real return date anyways, and I can finish up odds and ends in my classroom the rest of the week.

Well, Mason just fell asleep and I have Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows waiting for me!

0 comments: