Friday, August 18, 2006

Fine tuning

It's Friday again. Yippee! This week was a little rough, as the kids have become comfortable with the classroom and each other and have decided that it's okay to talk when I'm talking and read their library book when they're supposed to be working. Sigh. I've written some lunch detentions (which as a whole, they don't seem too phased by), and I'm sure many more are in my future. I know that discipline is my weakness. I'm trying to work on it, but it's hard. I'm lazy and don't like dealing with attitudes and crap. I did, however, tell a girl today that she needs to get her attitude in check, and that I AM IN CHARGE (even if she thinks otherwise) and that she needs to keep her mouth shut. She's a teenage girl with an attitude and that smart-allecky smile that makes me grit my teeth. I knew it was coming. And she won't be the last. I know what I was getting back into, with snotty girls and class clown boys, but I still don't like it. And I suppose I never will. Oh well.

I had a boy tell me yesterday that he loves me. And he's not special ed. He's what we will now call The Charmer. He smiles this cutesy grin and says some charming thing and expects that he won't get in trouble. Apparently it's worked in the past with his previous teachers. Anyway. Yesterday, I'm passing out some papers and he says to me, "Can I tell you something and you won't get mad?" (which immediately alarms me. What in the world is he going to tell me that I might get mad about?) Then he says, "I love you." I stopped handing out papers for a second, then I said something like, "why did you feel like telling me that?" And he said, "because you're my teacher and you teach me things and I love you." Uhh, okay. I guess he thought that would keep him in the clear for the school year to come. Sneaky.

Have I mentioned lately that we're moving in a week?!? I am so anxious, but a little stressed about it too. It feels like there's still a lot to do. It will all get done and soon we'll be settled and this tiny tincan of a place will be behind us--smoking, loud, partying neighbors and all. Yeah!!

I guess that's it for now. Mason's fussypants for no reason, so I must go. Talk at you later.

0 comments: