Tuesday, January 03, 2006

It's Friday, right?

My boss really thinks I'm returning next year. I never said I was, because she's never asked my plan. She's just assuming I want to work in that nuthouse past May. Yeah, I don't think so. Even if she could promise me 6th grade, I wouldn't stay. I've listed the reasons before, so I shall not repeat myself. But apparently there really isn't anyone else to take over the Special Education department of the school next year, because the current head of the department is pregnant and due in August and the main aide will only be part time next year. So guess who's in line to take over? That would be me. I've heard "Princess Lionhead will do it" more than once come out of my principal's mouth, when talking to someone besides myself. She has never cleared that with me. I suppose she just thinks because I have the education, training and experience that I absolutely love working there and would have no problem taking over those responsibilities. I know I should be upfront with her, and just admit that I have plans to pursue "other endeavors", but I'm real afraid to burn bridges. What if I can't get a middle school English teaching position next year? That's definitely possible, especially in such a small town. I'm hopeful though, since I should be applying sometime in the spring. That should help me keep my options open. Or at least I hope so. This is why I am fearful of giving my principal a definite letter of resignation this early on. As scary as it sounds, I'd rather teach there than take a 2nd grade job somewhere else. At least where I'm at now, I'd have 2 aides if I took a regular ed position. I don't know. I just wish I already had a job lined up in a public school, so I could go ahead and tell her, "yeah, I'm not coming back next year. So, if you could just give me a good reference, that'd be great..."

0 comments: