Monday, October 01, 2007

Isn't that special?

First thing first hour this morning, a kid throws up on my carpeted classroom. Nice. He wasn't looking too good beforehand, but said he was fine. Luckily, there wasn't any wretching noises and it wasn't chunky. The kids, of course, acted like they had just witnessed the most utterly disgusting event ever in the history of humankind. They were pulling their shirts up to their noses and flying out of their seats to get away from it. I told them to get over themselves. Yeah, it was gross, but I'm pregnant and I was standing right near it, and couldn't smell anything. Buncha babies...

Today, Mythology Narratives were due. I told them about the Final Drafts on Thursday. Thursday to Monday is how many days?? Apparently not enough days, I realize, as I glance over my puny pile of stories that made it in today. 36 were turned in today. Out of 77 students. Granted, about 10 kids total out of my 3 classes were out today, but still. Let's just say for the sake of being hopeful, that all of the absent kids would have brought their papers today had they been at school (which is doubtful, as I am assured that some were "out sick" for the very opposite reason), that's still a whopping 46 out of 77. That's shameful. In fact, I think that's the worst percentage I've had in my 6 year teaching career. Oh, and by the way, I gave them an extra 15-20 minutes at the beginning of class today to finish! Problem was, most that didn't turn in their assignment didn't even bother bringing it to class. I even had one, for now we'll call Complacent Boy Reincarnate (since Hormone Boy last year was the first Complacent Boy) that flat out admitted that he didn't do it, didn't plan on doing it and didn't care that he was getting a big fat 0 out of 100 for not doing it. I told him that he was a big boy and that I wasn't going to hold his hand, and that I was sorry that he didn't think he had to do the assignment, but he would be very unhappy when he saw his report card. He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "I know." Sigh...

What a day.

0 comments: