Sunday, February 19, 2006

Being a mom is like hard and stuff...

I love Mason. I love him like I've never loved before. But, that doesn't mean it's easy. Infanthood was hard because we had no idea what the hell we were doing, we didn't ever know what he wanted and breastfeeding didn't work out. Now, toddlerhood has already been challenging. He's frustrated about everything, he can't communicate his needs and has become much more clingy to us. Naptime and bedtime have been a trial of our patience lately. He was always the "easy baby" that went down to sleep like a charm and never gave us problems. But in recent months, he's decided that he needs to scream like we're beating him with sharp sticks everytime he's placed in his crib. Well, not everytime, but most of the time. He's never been the type that's wanted to be rocked or sang to or given a bottle to get to sleep. Until recently. Now, he's fine when you stand and hold him in his room, but the tantrum (and I mean TANTRUM) begins when you put him down. I hate to hear him cry. I feel myself getting angry and impatient with him, when I know it's not his fault. I hate that. I know it's just that I feel like I can't fix it and it makes me sad. People tell me "just let him cry if nothing's wrong". Sure, that was easy when he was an infant and the cry was softer and shorter lived. Now, he can belt it out with the best of them, and there isn't anyone who could stand that for too long. Fortunately, he does eventually fall asleep, but the moments that lead up to his collapse are heartbreaking. I'm sure it's just a stage, since he's beginning to realize when he's left alone and has become dependent on us, but I just wish it would be over. I guess just because you have an "easy baby" doesn't mean you'll have an "easy toddler". Maybe the teenage years will be good to us??

1 comments:

Mrs. Bluebird said...

Maybe the teenaged years will be good to us?

BAHAHAHAH! You taught middle school girlfriend! Surely you jest!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!