Monday, October 16, 2006

Change is scary

The week before Fall Break, I was informed by my principal that I was one of the classrooms that would be getting new carpet. Yippee!! I actually had the original carpet in my classroom, from over 20 years ago! Awesome! So, I was happy and pleased that I was one of THE CHOSEN ONES. But then she informs me that all my furniture will be in the hallways and that I should pack and lock away anything I am afraid might grow legs and disappear. Fun. So, the Friday before break, I was clearing off my desk of framed pictures and knick knacks and whatnots, so that they would still be around in a week. Most of Fall Break I didn't even think about it. Then, this weekend came and I started worrying about what my room was going to look like when I returned. So, I got to work an hour and a half early this morning, and I had mixed emotions. The carpet is brand-spanking new, but now my room smells like paint mixed with flatulence. My desks were in rows but not where they are supposed to be. Nothing was stolen (oh wait, I am missing some red duct tape that I used to mark where the desks go), but it was all kinds of fun to find everything again and try to get it back the way my room was before. I have a lot of crap! The bookshelves were on opposite walls from where they belonged. I elected help from my Homeroom class, to unload the bookshelves (textbooks, dictionaries, etc.) and they helped me move the shelves where they go. It was so much easier than me doing the whole thing. Thank goodness for middle schoolers eager to help. I let the 6 that actually volunteered to help be excused from their Journal, as they were working when everyone else was writing. It only seemed fair.

Anyways, my room is basically the way it was before. And I think having some of my kids carrying textbooks and dragging shelves across the room, that I snatched some of that excess energy left over from Fall Break right out of them! Back to work as usual, kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

0 years? Wimp! They actually had an article in the paper, with pictures from our school, of the 0RIGINAL (that's 41 years old) carpet in the classrooms - the school board and the county mayor put together a budget request to the county commission to replace it all. My classroom isn't too bad, but some others have duct tape trying to hold it all together!

* K * said...

"paint mixed with flatulence" --that seriously made me laugh. Is there a window to open or anything?

;)haha