Saturday, September 20, 2008

Blue and Gold, baby!!

I live in what I would consider to be a fairly small town. And the town I graduated high school in is the neighboring small town. And if you have ever lived in, visited, seen or even heard of a small town, than you know what football means to them. And when you have two small towns that are practically touching, they are rivals in high school sports. And when it comes to football? It's on, baby!! Well, anyways, since I live in this particular town, I find myself supporting all of their sports (at least mentally, since I can't really physically be there) all year long. But on The Big Game of the Year, when they play against my alma mater, I can't help but root for my Badgers. So, I wear blue and gold to school. I did it last year, and just about regretted it. Word got around that a few of us teachers are graduates of said neighboring town and our cars magically got decorated with phrases supporting the local team. But I couldn't help myself again this year. I gotta be faithful (besides, my graduating school has been known to have a pretty kick-butt football team!!). Surprisingly, not a lot of students even noticed that I was wearing blue and gold yesterday. A few teachers commented on my bravery and that if I actually taught at the high school and showed up to work wearing those colors, I'd probably get tied up and stuffed in trash can! I'm sure my bravery would be nonexistent if I was actually employed at the high school. So to no avail, I didn't really rile anyone up with my rival colors.


We didn't go to The Big Game of the Year last night, because Hubby and I had a date night planned and we saw 'The Dark Knight" (very dark and bittersweet, I think), but I was there in spirit, cheering on my Badgers.

And guess what? They won! Again! In fact, they pretty much win every year against the other school (ahem, aside from last year. But we can give them 1 win in 10 years!!). 35-21. Hey, at least it wasn't a slaughter. Wasn't that nice of us? :)


Go Badgers !!

2 comments:

~Janet~ said...

Yeah! Glad PHS won! I wish I went home more and was able to go to the games. I've not been back for a game since high school!

~Janet~ said...

Drop by my blog when you get a chance - I've given you a blog award!!