Saturday, May 10, 2008

Is it wrong that I miss my school?

I've been back to visit my school twice in the past week or so, and I kind of miss it. Don't get me wrong, it's so nice to be home everyday, making memories with my 3 year old and watching my infant change and grow before my eyes, but walking back into the school gave me such a familiar feeling that I miss at times.

My first visit was last Friday. I was nervous for some reason. I took Mason and Grace with me, so it was a bigger production to get there, so maybe that's why my nerves were skittish, but I don't know. As soon as I walked through the front doors, it was like I never left. Granted, it had only been 6 weeks, which isn't long at all, but still. A lot can happen in 6 weeks. Anyways, the ladies in the front office went gaga over Grace and tried to talk to Mason, but he's on this kick that he hides any time someone asks him just about anything. Frankly it's getting a little annoying. I know kids can be shy and it's better than him leaping into the arms of strangers, but I just wish he'd respond or answer people when they talk to him. But I digress. So after hanging in the office for a bit, we trudged upstairs (via the elevator, of course) and went to my classroom. Mrs. Former Assistant Principal was delighted to have me come by and she wasn't at all put off that I disrupted class. I let the kids come up row by row to see the baby and of course to chat with me. It was strange to see them. They still felt like my kids and it felt like my classroom, but with a slightly different feel. The girls were especially pleased to see the baby and me, but the boys seemed indifferent about the whole thing (not surprising). After that, Mason and Grace and I returned to the front office and I ended up feeding Gracie in Mrs. Principal's office. And I needed to go through 5 weeks of mail. Apparently, Mrs. Assistant Principal "just hadn't thought to" check my mailbox, so needless to say, there was quite a bit to weed through. Mostly junk, but I had to hand her some of the things to actually give out to students!! I realize she didn't want to go through my personal mail, but you'd think she still would have checked! Ah well, not my problem I guess.

My second visit was this past Thursday. I had to return some paperwork to the school anyways, and I figured I could visit another group of my kids. This was a shorter visit, but still a thrill for my kids and a lot of teachers that I encountered. Mason still didn't want to talk to anyone, yet many people tried to ask him if he was enjoying being a big brother and having mommy home. This class was also happy to see me and asked vehemently that I come back. I laughed and said that wasn't going to happen. Is there a part of me that kind of wishes I was going back this school year? Maybe. I wouldn't want to leave Gracie with someone already (although she will be in more than capaable hands next year, being that we're leaving her with a friend from church that lives in the next subdivision over from ours), but I kind of wish I could get out of the house everyday and be in the presence of other people. And get paid again. And I'm off track again. Well, anyways, it was nice to go back, and I plan on returning to visit at least one more time, as I have one more group of kids to see. Plus there's end of the year stuff that will still need to be done. And I want to know the schedule for next year.

Rumor is that I'm teaching a block of 7th grade Honors Language Arts. We'll see if that pans out. Could make things interesting. But for now, my main focus is intended to be Mommy Duty, I suppose. And I am thankful for that. I just wish I could have it both ways.

0 comments: