Sunday, December 14, 2008

Disappointment has a flavor, and it's pepperoni and cheese

You know how when you remember things from your past, they seem a bit glorified, and you wonder if you relived them, if it would feel the same? Like Fraggle Rock for instance. I LOVED that show as a kid. I watched it every week. My favorite character was Red. And recently, we found Fraggle Rock DVD at Target and I was so excited. I couldn't wait to recapture that strand of my childhood. We got it home, I opened it up and put it in, anxious for that nostalgic feeling. And at first, it flooded back. The theme song brought me back to when I was a little girl with waist-length curls and my Cabbage Patch named Brenda. But then the theme song was over and the episode began. And sadly, within 5 minutes or so, the nostalgia seeped out and it was replaced by drastic disappointment. It was boring, to be honest. And of course, incredibly cheesy. Don't get me wrong, cheesy can be awesome and it really did define television from the 80's, but there's a line. And Fraggle Rock crossed it, went down another street and took a detour. I was sad.

This leads me to the title of my blog. We were out and about today, and we happened to be in Kmart (because it has been really difficult to find Mason a winter coat--the toddler ones are often too small and the big boy ones are ginormous!!), and inside is a Little Caesar's (the only one left around here). To give a little background, Rob and I met at a Little Caesar's in 1995, so we both have memories of the scent of garlic and pizza dough. So, we decided to give this one a go. It had been years since we'd eaten there. We ordered Baby Pans and Crazy Bread. I have to admit, I was a tad bit excited. I remembered fondly the Crazy Bread I used to make myself back in the day, dripping with garlicky goodness and warm and oh-so-tasty. But when our order came out, the first frustration was that the Crazy Bread was raw--and I don't mean, "oh, it's a little undercooked", I mean, when you tried to take a bite, it came apart like melted cheese. Sick. So, we took it back. And the pizza was weird. It didn't taste bad, it just looked strange. It was like they had folded dough over and squished into a square. So, after we got our new order of bread and choked down the peculiar pizza, we looked at each other with a bit of remorse. Gone are the fond memories of Little Caesar's. Or at least the chance of renewing those memories.

I guess the moral of this entry is this: some things are better left remembered than relived...

0 comments: