Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Am I crazy?

Wait...don't answer that. Let's just say for argument's sake, that the answer is "yes". Then, this next bit of information shouldn't be surprising...

Today was the schoolwide Spelling Bee. And I helped run it. Not too stressful, but it took up the first half of my day. I took just enough time to explain to the sub that was taking my class what needed to be done, and then I headed to the library around 7:15. Kids came down around 8, and by 8:30, we were beginning the real deal. One of my students came in 5th of 42! That's pretty good! I have to say, the words you're given in a Spelling Bee are purely luck of the draw, because you may get a word you've seen before, and you may get a word like whirligig, that is clearly uncommon. Anyways, the Bee ended around 9:45, and then we had to tear things down and get it looking like a library again. Then I dashed up to my room to talk to the sub and get settled. Then it was lunch at 10:17 (yes, we eat THAT early). Then, my 4th period kids came in. And about 10 minutes after being there, I actually walked them about a half of a mile down the road to the nearest elementary school, where they shared children's books that they had made (inspired by the If You Give a Moose a Muffin type of books), with a 3rd grade class. That actually went pretty well. The kids were a little hesitant to meet the 3rd graders ("What if they cry?" "What if they don't like my book?"), but overall, I think they were pretty proud of themselves. And in fact, the 3rd grade teacher said that this was the first time on particular student of hers had every smiled! That warmed my heart.

I'm taking my Period 1 kids tomorrow (actually pulling them out of their elective class because of scheduling conflicts), and my Period 5 kids Friday. I've taken pictures, and plan to put up a bulletin board somewhere (in my classroom or in the school somewhere else?), to brag about the project.

Toldja I was crazy...

0 comments: