Saturday, August 09, 2008

Now that I've finally got a minute...

I wanted to take a moment and share how my first week of school went. I survived. And it wasn't too bad, all things considered. And when I say "all things", I mean that we didn't have (and still don't have) a counselor (she's supposedly coming to us from out of state), our assistant principal was moved to the high school thus they gave us back our formal assistant principal from two years ago (she was also my sub at the end of the year), we are trying out a new block schedule this year and we have about a half dozen new teachers this year. I remember laughing to myself two Fridays ago, thinking, "wow, this is going to be an interesting school year". And it turned out not half bad.

I still have the same block setup as last year, but it's considered only one period this year instead of two. And I have a class at the end of my day called ACE, which is kind of like a homeroom/study skills/prep for the big state tests. So, I have three blocks like before, and a 30 minute ACE, with some of the same kids from my Language Arts classes. My three blocks have an average of 29 which isn't too bad, and there's a whopping 18 in my ACE. A small class is nice, but out of the 18, 15 are boys!! 15!! It makes for a quaint but talkative group. I swear sometimes boys are more talkative than girls!!

I have an interesting group this year. In my last Language Arts block, I have 6 siblings of kids I've had in the past, including Hockey Boy's brother (maybe I'll get free hockey tickets again this year??), Charming Boy's sister (Charming Boy was one of my 8th graders from 2 years ago), among others. So that was kinda funny. But I have started to realize that the Curse of the Last Class of the Day seems to still ring true. They are my squirelliest and hardest to get calm. Detentions may be issued very shortly. Sad but inevitable.

Well, Gracie is waking, but I did want to leave with dumb things we've already heard in our classrooms this year:

(In Science class) "Why do we even eat food if we're just gonna poop it out?"

(In Social Studies) "I just realized that we live in North America!" AND "Is Peru in China?"

1 comments:

~Janet~ said...

I love those funny things kids say! LOL