Saturday, June 02, 2007

Say what??


I had the opportunity to sit in on two interviews yesterday, for the opening at our school for assistant principal (ours is leaving and opening her own spa). That was interesting. I've never sat in anyone's interview before. There were 12 of us!! I'm glad I've never had to do that! Anyways, the first was a Resource teacher from our school. That's good and bad. Good, because she's familiar with the school and its philosophies. Bad, because she's had a few run-ins with some teachers and I think they had preconceived notions of her, before she even answered the first interview question. I was impressed with her professionalism and quick answers, but I don't think she has a chance, unfortunately. The other candidate was a guy, and we all seemed to like him. He has a lot of experience, even in really tough schools. We all agreed that it would be nice to have male administrator for obvious reasons--they tend to get more respect from the male students, and some of these kids need some male guidance. There are other applicants, but my vote's for that guy!!

I also received an interesting tidbit of information before the interviews began. Mrs. Principal showed me the TENTATIVE schedule for next year. It looks like I'm teaching all 8th grade, no 7th. And although I'm fine with that, as I would only have to plan for one class, I cannot be a 7th grade team leader, which I was planning on. Don't know how that's gonna play out. Of course no schedule is set in stone until the first day of school, but still. And actually, I kind of liked teaching a block of 7th graders. It broke up the monotony a little, and I got to work with some great kids. I guess I'll be seeing at least some of them again next year! I suppose teaching all 8th grade will make the end of the year activities much easier to coordinate, as I would not have any 7th graders to find a place for, during the 8th grade festivities.

It's just funny, because just a few short years ago, I would have told you that I would NEVER teach higher than 7th. And before that, I thought 6th grade was as high as I would go!! And in college, I wanted to teach Elementary school!! Ha! Funny how things work out, isn't it? Now, I couldn't imagine even teaching 6th graders!! They seem like such little guys!

I guess you never what God has planned. For any of us.

0 comments: