Thursday, April 26, 2007

Happy Friend Day!

I don't know if it's anything official or national or whatever, but the local news said something about today being Friend Day. The newscasters had their long, lost friends on the show, and reminisced about their high school days and whatnot.

It just reminded me of how thankful I am for my true friends that have been more than I could ever ask for and have been a blessing in my life. I also feel sad and sorry that I have lost touch and/or lost the bond with certain friends, partially by my own fault. It's a little disheartening, when you really think about it. When you have a history with someone, and for a certain period of time you were close and had such great memories together. And then something happens. Life happens, I guess. Whatever it is, things change. You move on. You grow up. You have different priorities. You forget about that time in your life when you were connected at the hip. I guess it doesn't have to be a sad thing, since life just does that. We're grownups. We're not always going to enjoy the company of the same people we would have 5 or 10 years ago.

Maybe we're supposed to just remember those times in life fondly and move on. Maybe we're supposed to try to make it work with that person and try to get to know who they are now. I don't know. I don't have the answers. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I've neglected a friendship with you, it was not at all with ill intent, and I am still deeply grateful for what you have meant to me.

So, take a moment and really think about those people in your life. I know it's cliche', but think about how they've changed you, inspired you, made you laugh, helped you cry, hugged when you needed it, listened to you gripe about crap. And even if you don't talk to them anymore, or it's awkward when you do, remember how your life was affected by them, and if you can't tell them personally, just keep it in your heart that they were placed in your life for a reason and it has forever changed you.

0 comments: