Tuesday, August 30, 2005

My son's ready to eat steak!!!

Okay, not really, but he's on his way. I've been trying Mason on this baby finger food called Gerber Fruit Puffs (they're these little cereal-like stars that dissolve in their mouth--weird, I know. But it's supposed to prepare them for chewing) and he's getting the hang of it. I introduced them to him yesterday with his dinner (Sweet Potatoes and Turkey--Yum!). It was pretty humorous to watch him try to manipulate these little things. He barbarically grappled at one on the high chair tray and stared at it through his tight fist. Then, he slowly tried to stuff it into his mouth, but darn that fist for getting in the way! He sucked on his fingers and palm, until he eventually got that little sucker into his mouth. He mouthed it quizzically, slobbering and babbling about it. "What in the world are you trying to feed me, woman?" is what I truly think he was saying in babytalk. Then, once he swallowed it, he smiled and grabbed for another one. I guess he decided that the fruit puff was edible and perhaps somewhat entertaining. Tonight, I tried again. This time, he was much more eager and interested in actually eating them. Like a pro, he snatched up one in each fist and proceeded to alternate between Left Fruit Puff and Right Fruit Puff (testing if they tasted the same?), seeming fully enthralled by this new texture and experience. I think after a week or so of practice, he'll begin to recognize the container with excitement. I shall keep you updated...

On to my ever-so-changing teaching position. Now, I'm staying in the resource room. For now. Until things change. And who knows when that will be. Yesterday I was told that things were DEFINITELY changing, and that I would most likely be removed from the resource room. Then I get to work this morning, and KABLAM!! nothing is changing and the principal acts like she'd never heard this issue before. Sigh. I guess I should just learn to go with the flow, eh? Ah well, it's Mason's bottle time and his patience is wearing as thin as a Kleenex. Will write tomorrow.

0 comments: